10 Things to Do This Weekend
Orlando's event calendar is always too full to thumb through. Finding fun things to do can be a daunting task in this Florida city. So, The Daily City does it for you!
10 Things to Do This Weekend June 2 + 3
By Mark Baratelli
1. State's Best Artists are Here - 10 of Florida's most progressive and exciting visual artists working in the State today will be speaking at a panel discussion about the pieces they have displayed at the Orlando Museum of Art. This panel consists of the winners of the 5th Annual Florida Prize in Contemporary Art exhibit. The panel is Saturday 11am at Orlando Museum of Art.
2. PoleCon - the International Pole Dancing Convention - This annual event contains an all day exhibitor hall full of amazing products and services; pole and other aerial showcase performances; free movement-based workshops; free talks by pole, fitness and nutrition experts; and paid pole and non-pole workshops. PoleCon takes place Saturday and Sunday at Loews Sapphire Falls Resort.
3. Share the (Food) Wealth- The team behind the Womens March has partnered with the Farmshare organization to distribute fresh produce to the local community during their Community Share event. Volunteers are needed to help pack bags and distribute food Saturday 9 to 1 at the Callahan Neighborhood Community Center.
4. Drink Around the Dinosaurs- Hear a presentation from a guest speaker, immerse yourself in the world of superheroes, crime fighters, gadgets and spies, view stars and planets with telescopes, watch giant-screen films in the CineDome, conduct lab experiments and more during Science Night Live Saturday 8-11:30pm at Orlando Science Center.
5.Open Your Art For Me- Check out the new art hanging inside The Milk District's newest coffee and beer bar "The Nook" during the Ryan Semple Art Show OpeningSaturday 6-9pm at The Nook in the Milk District
6. Drunk Spelling Bee- The name says it all. Drink and spell at the first annual Drunk Spelling Bee. $10 buy in gets you a draft Odd Elixir Mead and a shot of Vikings Blod for each round you stay alive. Last one standing gets a beer and mead swag prize pack and a $50 Abbey Gift Certificate. Spots are limited to 40 participants. The Drunk Spelling Bee is Saturday at 8pm at Abbey Bar in Deland.
7. Dad is Gay and I'm a Lesbian - The Musical 'Fun Home' is a tragicomedy about Alison, a lesbian, and her closeted father. We see her as a child, teen and adult, deal with her life. The musical pairs contemporary music with a heart-wrenching and hilarious script. 'Fun Home' runs Saturday and Sunday at Mad Cow Theatre.
8. Star Trek Opera- Go where no opera has gone before when Opera Orlando brings the heralded Pacific Opera Project’s wild and fantastic resetting of Mozart’s Turkish brothel comedy into space and the distant future aboard the Starship Enterprise called Star Trek: Abduction.The show is Saturday at 7:30pm at Plaza Live.
9. Annual Flower Show - Spectacular orchid displays, orchids and supplies vendors, speakers and demonstrations, company plants, raffles, door prizes, and a scavenger hunt. The Central Florida Orchid Show & Sale Saturday and Sunday 9-5pm at National Guard Armory.
10.Wear Orange to 'Wear Orange'- Celebrating the survivors of gun violence is the focus of 'Wear Orange,' a family-friendly event. Face painting, a bounce house, music, arts and crafts, food trucks and more. Wear an orange shirt. Saturday 10am at Gaston Edwards Park.