6 Things to Do This Weekend - June 8 and 9
Here are five things we think are worth your time June 8 - 9, 2019.
1. Gather in gratitude to celebrate community and the spirit of #OrlandoUnited during Love and Kindness on the Lawn put on by The One Orlando Alliance. Attendees will enjoy local music, food trucks, hugs, a group Loving Kindness Meditation, a giant "human heart" photo and more. Love and Kindness on the Lawn is part of the Orlando United: Acts of Love and Kindness movement. The event takes place Sunday June 9th 12:30 -2:30pm on the front lawn of the Dr Phillips Center for the Performing Arts at 445 S Magnolia Avenue, downtown Orlando.
2. Dogs and owners will travel together to 11 bars and businesses in the Mills50 District guzzling beer and eating dog treats during the Dog Day Afternoon Pup Crawl. Dogs will enjoy a puppy pool, dog treats, and bowls of water. The first 100 dogs get a free bandana. 50% of the wristband sales will be donated to Pet Alliance of Greater Orlando. The fun takes place Sunday June 9th 1-4pm. Pick up $5 wristbands at Ten10 Brewing (1010 Virginia Drive).
3. Watch the Tony Awards® on the big projection screen at Orlando Shakes while enjoying food from SwedeDISH, Vegan Hot Dog Cart, and Orlandough, themed drinks, trivia during the commercial breaks, and festivities all evening long during Orlando Shakes' Tony Awards Viewing Party. Seating is first come first served. The fun takes place Sunday June 9th starting at 6pm at Orlando Shakes (812 East Rollins Street).
4. Haute Velo is a bicycle themed poster show based on ArtCrank®, the original poster party for bike people.™ The show is Saturday June 8th 7-10pm at McRae Art Studios (1000 Arlington Street).
5. 100 people involved in the performing arts meet up, break up into 9 teams, and in the span of 24 hours write, rehearse, and memorize 9 short plays they will then perform for the large audience assembled for the annual event called Play in Day. Tickets are $20. Get tickets at BethMarshallPresents.com. All proceeds benefit the Beth Marshall Presents Theatre Scholarship Fund. The content is for mature audiences and contains strong themes. The performance of all 9 short plays takes place Saturday June 8th 6:30-9:30pm at Lake Howell High School Theatre (4200 Dike Road).
6. A farmers market is essential to city living, but sweating through one during the hottest months of the year is not. So The Daily City is putting together a one-day-only test run of a new concept called Downtown Indoor Farmers Market. Expect 100% local vendors, lunches, dranks, and of course - air conditioning. Free admission. Kid and dog friendly. The fun takes place Sunday June 9th 12-4pm inside the 2-story Celine (22 S. Magnolia Avenue). www.DowntownIndoorFarmersMarket.com