10 Things to Do This Weekend - July 14 + 15
10 Things to Do This Weekend in Orlando July 14 + 15
1. Maria Bamford Live Stand-Up Show - We don't recommend stand up on this newsletter but this lady is worth breaking our rule for. Judd Apatow told the L.A. Times he thinks she is "hysterically funny." Bamford's unique comedic style has drawn praise and criticism. She is best known for her portrayal of her dysfunctional family and self-deprecating humor comedy involving jokes about depression and anxiety. Her comedy style is surreal. Zach Freeman of the Chicago Tribune has noted her content and comedic style as "comically erratic" with "seemingly unrelated tangents and constantly varying vocal inflections" Maria Bamford's stand up show is Saturday at 7pm at The Plaza Live.
2. 10th Annual Bastille Day Celebration - Baguette Fencing, Wine & Cheese Pairing, French Market, Murder on the French Riviera, Live music, Moulin Rouge Show staring the Ladies of the Peek-a-Boo Lounge, Marie Antoinette. The Bastille Day Celebration takes place Saturday 3pm-10pm throughout the Audubon Park Garden District. Some events require tickets.
3. Yoga with Cats - This yoga class with cats roaming around the room is good for yogis of every level. Participants get 1 hour of yoga and a 1/2 hour kitty play time. Registration begins at 9 am and class begins at 9:30 am. Kindly reserve at least 24 hours in advance, and please provide your own yoga mat. $10 cancellation fee. Cat Yoga takes place on the 2nd and 4th Saturday of every month 9:30am-11:00am at Orlando Cat Cafe in Clermont Four Corners.
4. Dress Rehearsal for the new play "Destination Moon" - Local playwright Joseph Hayes is offering $5 tickets to the dress rehearsal of his brand new play. It tells the story of a young woman recovering from a serious illness, attempting to deal with the consequences of actually surviving by forming a relationship with a disembodied voice in the night; a veteran late-night radio personality. Featuring a live, mostly improvised soundtrack composed and performed by La Lucha pianist John O’Leary, the play will make full use of the unique Timucua space. The play takes place Saturday 2:30pm-5pm at Timucua Arts Foundation.
5. CannaDay Orlando Marijuana Conference and Expo - Find out what it really takes to be in the Cannabis business at this all day expo featuring speakers and over 40 exhibitors. Discover how to make a career out of cannabis no matter what your skills. See a doctor and find out if you qualify for a medical marijuana card. Florida’s largest cannabis business organization, Florida Cannabis Coalition has been hosting educational and networking events since 2014. CannaDay Orlando Marijuana Conference and Expo will take place Saturday 10am-5pm at the UCF Student Union.
6. Evenings with Andre' - The Founder of the Maitland Art Center, J. André Smith, wrote plays. Watch readings of three of his plays in one evening followed up by a Q&A session. This is only for people over 13 due to adult themes. The play readings will take place Saturday 7:30pm-9:30pm at Maitland Art Center. Tickets are not cheap so be rich.
7. St Margaret Mary Annual Rummage Sale - It's big! This three day rummage sale takes place Thursday, Friday and Saturday 8am-2pm at St. Margaret Mary Catholic Church in downtown Winter Park. Funds go to the purchasing of 15 Gucci Marmont belts for the middle school choir. Just kidding. The funds will benefit the church's sister parish in Haiti.... who need Gucci Marmont belts.
8. We Still Do - By 2020 the Winter Park Civic Center will be gone and replaced by the new Winter Park Public Library. Before construction begins, the city will commemorate the civic center’s significance to the City by hosting Winter Park’s largest public wedding vow renewal ceremony. Music, children’s activities in a special Family Fun Zone, sweet bites and sparkly sips from the civic center’s devoted caterers will be offered for all attendees to enjoy. We Still Do takes place Saturday 10am-12pm at 1050 W. Morse Blvd.
9. Dollar Ice Cream Scoops - Enjoy one dollar scoops of homemade ice cream as part of the the 3 year anniversary of Kelly's Homemade Ice Cream in Audubon Park Saturday 1pm-4pm at Kelly''sHomemade Ice Cream.
10. Tacos & Tequila - The city's latest, tastiest, culinary obsession, tacos, is the focus of this food event. Guests will sample tacos provided by Orlando area food trucks, taco shops & restaurants and then vote on their favorite. There will also be tequila samplings, beer, and live entertainment, all included in the ticket price, Tacos & Tequila is happening Saturday at Cheyenne Saloon.