Park Lake Presbyterian Church (Website) submitted an application to amend the current PD (planned development) for 1.51 acres of property it owns at 221 E. Colonial Dr. (MAP). The church wishes to reclaim .38 acres of contiguous area (a PD/Traditional City Overlay which has expired) and add some more uses for the buildings on the property.
The property houses the former Davis Park Hotel, built in 1957 and overhauled in the 1980s. Portions of the former hotel are currently in use as Faith Arts Village FAVO (Website), a collection of rental artists studios and a ministry of the church.
It's proposed that the other existing structures on the property, including the former motel with multiple buildings and a small restaurant, will be re-purposed for the following uses:
- Teaching Kitchen
- Small cafe or coffee shop
- Art Gallery for exhibitions and sales for artists on site
- Expansion of current Artists Village studio/offices into other existing buildings or portions of existing buildings
- Small Group meeting space for up to 25 for church and civic orgs
- Temporary housing for church sponsored individuals
- Periodic housing for visiting church choirs, youth groups, senior adults, mission personnel and mission teams.
- Non-profit office
- Storage of church equipment
- Storage and "office" space for Boy Scout Troop 48
- Other church sponsored group activity
- additional church parking
- Other uses as approved by the City
- Possible demolition of one or more of the buildings for additional parking