The insanely popular Festival of Lion King show was designed as a temporary show when it was first built. But due to the popularity of the show with guests, it stayed put and was even replicated at Hong Kong Disneyland.
Now it appears the show, or at least the theatre that houses it, might be moved to, or rebuilt in, a different area of the park.
Screamscape reported on January 3, 2012 that one of their readers saw Imagineers poking around behind Tusker House Restaurant in the Africa section of Animal Kingdom.
In documents uncovered by TheDailyCity.com, an exact replica of the theatre appears in that exact location.
Why the move? The Avatar area, formerly rumored to be delayed, will displace Camp Minnie-Mickey, current home to the Festival of Lion King show.
South Florida Water Management District Application:
- Application #: 121217-6
- Permit#: 48-00714-P Approved Date:
- Issuing Office: ORL
- Permit Type: Environmental Resource (Compliance Letter Mod)
- Expiration Date: Project Acres: 1.59
- Project Name: A K Africa Hardscape Improvement Receiving Body: Pond Cde
- Location: Orange S34/T24/R27 Landuse(s): Commercial
- Applicant: Walt Disney Parks And Resorts U S Incorporated Lee Schmudde P O Box 10000 Lake Buena Vista FL 32830
- Other Interested Party: Reedy Creek Improvement District Mahmoud Elsabagh 1900 Hotel Plaza Blvd Lake Buena Vista FL 32830-0170